The 22 Minute Hard Corps lunch suggestion of 2 reds, 1 green, 1 yellow and 1 orange is forcing me to get creative! At first I started just adding an orange container of flax seeds to my regular lunches, with a side of cottage cheese for the extra red, but I really wanted to find a way to incorporate the orange right into the recipe. I still have to have a side of cottage cheese or some other form of protein with this sesame ginger tofu green bean recipe, but if I had thought ahead I definitely could have added lean beef strips to the mixture to include an extra protein!
I usually shy away from any soy products due to most of them being genetically modified, however I was chatting with a friend who eats a mostly plant-based diet, she sent me one of her favourite tofu recipes which is not included here, but did help inspire this recipe!
4 Blocks Organic, Non-GMO Extra Firm Tofu
5 Cups Green Beans
Low-sodium Soy Sauce
Low-sodium chicken broth
Garlic (about 4 cloves finely chopped)
Ginger (about 1″ finely diced)
1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
10 TBSP Sesame Seeds
First I pre-baked the tofu to give it a meatier, crispier texture. To do this I pre-heated my oven to 400 degrees F, cut my tofu into inch-sized squares, placed them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and baked them for 35 minutes, flipping half way. While these were in the oven I started on the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, replacing the water with chicken broth.
- Put oil, garlic and chili flakes into a wok on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. This allows the oil to take on the chili and garlic flavours before adding your green beans.
- Add green beans to the oil mixture and sautee 4-6 minutes until slightly cooked but still crunchy.
- Add soy sauce, ginger and tofu to the wok and let simmer.
- Add sesame seeds.
- Remove from heat before the green beans get too soft.
- Portion the veggie dish into 5 and place each over 1 yellow container of quinoa and enjoy!
Each serving equals 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Green and 1 Orange container in the 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Extreme, Portion Fix, Hammer and Chisel and 22 Minute Hard Corps programs!
Of course this dish can also be made without a yellow if you have it without the quinoa and I think it would be awesome with beef or prawns as well!!